Monday, May 4, 2009

Its all about the Paan

A constant feature about railway stations across India is spittle. Most of which are red in colour. For the uninformed this is due to the chewing of paan.
I disagree with Amul’s claim that it is the taste of India. I can’t think of an edible product that defines India better than paan does. And I mean it in the most non- derogatory way.
On the flip side however I too am disgusted by the way in which people spit on the road. It is an act that cannot be condoned.
Paan has carved out a niche for itself in Indian culture. Spitting hasn’t. And I hope it remains that way.
Paan has been instrumental in the success of the movie ‘Don’ as well. Any Shahrukh Khan or Amitabh Bachchan fan will know exactly what I am talking about.
Personally I love paan. With names like meetha, 120 and 420 who can help loving it…

No comments:

Post a Comment